Become a South Dakota Resident

Sign up for our mail forwarding service now to begin the process.

Get your SD residency in 3 easy steps.

If you’re ready to get the ball rolling on your residency (and on saving tax money), you’ve come to the right place. You can easily become a South Dakota resident in just three steps. When you choose SDRC as your mail forwarding provider, we’ll be there to guide you every step of the way.

Secure your physical address in South Dakota.

Getting proof of your new address in South Dakota is simple – all you have to do is show that you have secured a personal mailbox with a local mailbox provider like us. Head over to our mail services page now to secure one of our four mailbox packages, then simply keep a record of our mail forwarding agreement to bring in to the DMV when you sign up for your residency.

Stay one night at a South Dakota address.

You can fulfill this requirement by spending one night at our beautiful, 5-star Spearfish KOA Campground that is open year-around for camping and/or lodging, located in Spearfish, SD in the Northern Black Hills. Or, you can stay at any other hotel or campground in the state of South Dakota for the required overnight stay.

Get your residency.

Your final step in the residency process (besides switching over any insurance policies and registering to vote) will be actually showing up to the DMV. We’ve compiled a handy list of necessary documents below, and we strongly recommend that you have ALL of these in-hand ahead of your visit to South Dakota (especially the notarized residency affidavit, since that can be harder to do last minute).

Your South Dakota touchpoint.

Use this page as your starting block for understanding the process and gathering the materials you need. If you have any questions, simply reach out to our team and we’ll be happy to help.

What to Bring:

  • Spearfish KOA Campground Receipt (or other South Dakota campground or hotel receipt) with your name(s) and NEW South Dakota address on it.
  • Notarized Residency Affidavit (this can be notarized at the DMV)
  • Receipt Proving Mail Service Agreement with SDRC
  • Passport or Birth Certificate (original only, no photocopy)
  • Proof of Social Security Number. Could be any of the following:
    • Your social security card.
    • W-2 form.
    • SSA-1099 form.
    • Non-SSA-1099 form.
    • Pay stub with your name and Social Security number on it.
    • Social Security Administration documents establishing that you are ineligible for a Social Security number.
  • Proof of any name change.
    • Certified Marriage Certificate – for all marriages
    • Certified Adoption Document
    • Certified Court Order authorizing a name change (divorce decree)
  • Prior State Driver’s License (to surrender)
  • One piece of mail with your new address on it. If you do not, bring the receipt / invoice proving you have a mail service agreement with the SD Residency Center.

Ready to start the process?
Sign up for our mail service now.

Or, contact us to begin at any step.